Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

Okay, so I guess next year I have to go back to work full time (blick) and so I have to start planning ahead my meals. So I've decided that I will begin making a freezer meal each time I make certain dishes. This Chicken Pot Pie recipe was very good.

Chicken Pot Pie
   (this recipe is adapted to what I had on hand)

4 cups cubed cooked chicken
   (boiled my chicken with some salt in the water and some frozen pearl onions)
4 cups frozen Souther-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 16 oz package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (recipe called for Cream of Onion which wasn't something
    I could find)
1 cup milk or cream
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I may have used a little bit more)
1 package refrigerated pie pastry

1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, potatoes, veggies, soups, milk or cream, flour, sour cream and seasonings. Divide between two 9-in pie plates. Roll out pastry to fit the top of each pie. Cut slits in pastry. Place over filling, trim, seal and flute edges.

2. Cover and freeze one potpie for up to 3 months. Bake the second potpie at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

3. To use frozen potpie: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, remove foil and bake 50-55 minutes longer or until golden brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment